Sunday, August 30, 2015

Despedidas & Gustu: Goodbyes in Bolivia

Despedidas and Gustu (Bolivia)

A "despedida" is a goodbye party.  I was lucky enough to have a couple of send-offs: one at work, one with friends, and one on my last night in La Paz with family.


Instituto Exclusivo



   

This despedida was supposed to be me thanking the school for helping me adjust to the culture, teaching me the language, and for giving me great memories and lasting friendships for the road.  They surprised me by making a couple of speeches and presenting a couple of gifts as well.  A couple of students even took the time to come by!

 


Amigos


Saying goodbye to your friends in one go is always tough.  To make it a little easier, the theme of my despedida was creative clothing, which is what you see below.  (Unfortunately, I didn't get pictures with each person!)  I also tried to meet with people throughout the last month to spend some one-on-one time as a goodbye with each person, but it doesn't make saying goodbye any easier!  How does that quote go? Ah yes, "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard." --Winnie the Pooh




 After these despedidas, I packed my bags and went on a final trip around the Bolivian amazon forest. When I returned, the Niemanns and I went to a 5-star restaurant called Gustu.


Gustu


This restaurant, while decently priced in Bolivia, would be way out of my normal realm of dining considerations, but since Mike and I spent the time here, we decided to go.  The restaurant is modern, but with traditional accents.  It was my first (and perhaps only) five-course meal, complete with drink parings.  It was a classy, yet unique send-off.  Plus, the company made for great conversation during and between courses.


*For a description of their philosophy and what they're all about, check out their website: <http://restaurantgustu.com/eng/about-us/filosofia/>.

No comments:

Post a Comment